Cat Friendly Practice®
It can be stressful for both you and your cat to visit the veterinarian. The veterinary visit starts before you even arrive at the veterinary clinic with trying to get your cat in the carrier and the car ride to the practice.
When designated as a Cat Friendly Practice®, veterinary clinics have proven they have taken specific extra steps to assure they understand a cat’s unique needs, have implemented feline-friendly standards, and have made changes to decrease stress and provide a more calming environment. Our veterinary staff have also been trained in feline-friendly handling and understanding cat behavior in order to increase the quality of care for your cat.
- At Animal Hospital of Shawnee Hills, we have taken the following steps to provide the best experience possible for your cat:
- A feline-only exam room – No Dogs Allowed! We do our best to minimize the scent of dogs in our cat treatment areas.
- We encourage clients to bring their cat straight into the kitty exam room upon arrival (or wait in the car) so they don’t need to wait in the lobby with other pets & stressful activity.
- Our front desk will provide a Feliway-infused towel to go over your kitty’s carrier, creating a dark, safe space for them to get acclimated to their new surroundings.
- We use Feliway diffusers and Feliway-infused towels on our kitty exam table, and lots of treats during the exam!
- We try to do as many procedures and treatments as possible right in the exam room, rather than bringing cats “to the back” – environmental changes tend to further increase cats’ stress levels, as well as exposure to other pets in the treatment area.
- Our doctors are happy to discuss possible medication and sedation options for cats who simply will not tolerate a vet visit – safety and the health & wellbeing of our patients is our number one priority!
To learn more about the AAFP’s Cat Friendly Practice® program, click here:
What to Expect at a Cat Friendly Practice